The K-1 visa, known as the “fiancé/e” visa, is a very useful tool for citizens of the United States who wish to bring their significant others in a relatively short period of time.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you may file an application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service for your fiancé/e as long as:

  • You plan to marry your fiancé/e within a period of 90 days from his/her entry into the US;
  • Both may legally marry, and have met in person at least once within a period of two years prior to filing the application.

You may request a waiver from the requirement of meeting your fiancé/e for one of two reasons:

  • Meeting in person prior to marriage would violate strict and firmly established cultural norms, or;
  • It is proved that the meeting would cause serious hardship to the petitioning citizen.